Boring old Saturday
Another beautiful day here. So that meant time outside. Too bad the mosquitoes are out in full force. It doesn't ever seem to bother John, though. He did swipe at one today and managed the day without spray and only one bite.
He found the watering can on the back porch and once I put some water in it, he tried to water the plants. But he couldn't really manage the big can and ended up spilling the water on the concrete. Then he found that some of the tiny wind chimes had fallen off a a planter chime set. He danced around a little while with them and then...
...proceeded to find things to hit them on, as if they were drum sticks. It was kind of fun to watch. We went inside shortly after because the mosquitoes had discovered us. JHP was not happy about that. Nap time was definitely in order. He didn't sleep his usual 3 hours, only about 2.5 hours, but he was happy when he got up. Later, we spent more time outside helping Daddy sweep up the grass clippings until the mosquitoes drove us inside again.
After dinner, John called his parents online and we all visited for a while. JHP was in and out as usual, but towards the end of the visit, JHP kept sticking his hands in his mouth and didn't want to remove them. This has become a habit as of late. We remind him often to take his hands out of this mouth and he usually does. But tonight, he didn't want to. We soon said our goodbyes and it was off to start the bedtime routine.
This started out OK, but rolled downhill rather quickly. We usually get undressed and then brush teeth. But he wanted the shirt back on. I just thought it was because the shirt lit up and he could watch it in the mirror. So we put it back on. But then he started to cry and he wouldn't take his hands out of his mouth. And he didn't want me to brush his teeth. At this point he'd been crying for a little while, but I noticed he was warm. I took his temperature in both ears. One was 100.9 and the other was 101.8. So we gave him some Tylenol and we quickly finished his teeth brushing. We asked if anything hurt and he said no, but something was obviously wrong. He would not quit crying. We got the paapaa out thinking that might help. Not really. I managed through the bath quickly. He just sat there and cried. No playing. No splashing. Just sat and cried. Poor thing. In short order we were done and then we got him dry and dressed. He did finally manage to calm himself once he had his blankie. He seemed ready for bed. It was good thing that it was my night to bathe and rock as I'm not sure he would have tolerated John. He seemed to need his Momma. I picked him up and rocked him like I would a baby, in the crook my arm. Lately, I'll hold him like that and he'll say "baby", but he usually squirms out of it. Not tonight, though. He was content to rock in that position, his eyes getting heavy rather quickly. While we rocked, his forehead did cool back down. I told him it was time to get in his bed and actually laid him down on his back. And he rolled over onto his tummy and settled. These days that never happens anymore. Usually he'll sit right up if you even try to lay him down. Did he just get so worked up that he developed the "fever" or are his molars bothering him? I guess we'll see how the night goes.
-EBP-
He found the watering can on the back porch and once I put some water in it, he tried to water the plants. But he couldn't really manage the big can and ended up spilling the water on the concrete. Then he found that some of the tiny wind chimes had fallen off a a planter chime set. He danced around a little while with them and then...
...proceeded to find things to hit them on, as if they were drum sticks. It was kind of fun to watch. We went inside shortly after because the mosquitoes had discovered us. JHP was not happy about that. Nap time was definitely in order. He didn't sleep his usual 3 hours, only about 2.5 hours, but he was happy when he got up. Later, we spent more time outside helping Daddy sweep up the grass clippings until the mosquitoes drove us inside again.
After dinner, John called his parents online and we all visited for a while. JHP was in and out as usual, but towards the end of the visit, JHP kept sticking his hands in his mouth and didn't want to remove them. This has become a habit as of late. We remind him often to take his hands out of this mouth and he usually does. But tonight, he didn't want to. We soon said our goodbyes and it was off to start the bedtime routine.
This started out OK, but rolled downhill rather quickly. We usually get undressed and then brush teeth. But he wanted the shirt back on. I just thought it was because the shirt lit up and he could watch it in the mirror. So we put it back on. But then he started to cry and he wouldn't take his hands out of his mouth. And he didn't want me to brush his teeth. At this point he'd been crying for a little while, but I noticed he was warm. I took his temperature in both ears. One was 100.9 and the other was 101.8. So we gave him some Tylenol and we quickly finished his teeth brushing. We asked if anything hurt and he said no, but something was obviously wrong. He would not quit crying. We got the paapaa out thinking that might help. Not really. I managed through the bath quickly. He just sat there and cried. No playing. No splashing. Just sat and cried. Poor thing. In short order we were done and then we got him dry and dressed. He did finally manage to calm himself once he had his blankie. He seemed ready for bed. It was good thing that it was my night to bathe and rock as I'm not sure he would have tolerated John. He seemed to need his Momma. I picked him up and rocked him like I would a baby, in the crook my arm. Lately, I'll hold him like that and he'll say "baby", but he usually squirms out of it. Not tonight, though. He was content to rock in that position, his eyes getting heavy rather quickly. While we rocked, his forehead did cool back down. I told him it was time to get in his bed and actually laid him down on his back. And he rolled over onto his tummy and settled. These days that never happens anymore. Usually he'll sit right up if you even try to lay him down. Did he just get so worked up that he developed the "fever" or are his molars bothering him? I guess we'll see how the night goes.
-EBP-


