Don't mess with me, Momma!
It's not the cutest picture, but it's funny. I'm not sure why he felt the need to be so serious. Daddy had just woken him up from his nap. (Yeah I know it's kinda late for nap, but today was MDO and his morning nap started about 130pm. So, his afternoon nap did get started until 345pm.) He wanted Momma at first and then I was able to hand him off to Daddy so that I could take a picture of the scratches on his face. That's where the real story for today lies. The scratch on his nose was from Tuesday. The new ones on his cheek and near his left eye are from today.
The story: After MDO we went out to one of the playgrounds on the church grounds. It's kind of a bigger boys playground and some friends of mine and their sons (age ~2.5 or so) were out there playing as they usually do. This afternoon was nice and mild and we had our jackets to keep the breeze at bay. It's been that way the last couple of days - really cold at night and nearing 60-65 during the day - REALLY nice! Anyway, John has been climbing the steps on the little play equipment at our neighborhood park. So, I figured that this would be just a slight step up. After he climbed the steps and got past the distraction of one of my friend's snack bag, he really had fun moving around the equipment. I was careful to be right by him since there were several drop-off points that were 4 feet+ high. So we played, including going down one of the slides together. We ascended the structure again and made our way eventually back to the slide we'd gone down before and before I knew it, he'd gone head first down the slide! Thankfully the ground in the area is covered with wood shavings. He landed facedown and looked up as if nothing special happened. We dusted him off and went back up again. You will all think I'm a horrible parent, but he ended up going down a different slide, again without me! This one seemed like more of an accident and he was a little shook up after this one, although he never cried. He actually went down sideways and got stuck briefly halfway down, wriggled a bit and completed his descent, landing again facedown in the shavings. Luckily, the fall from the end of the slides to the shavings are less than an inch. And after the second time, I decided it was time to go. My son, however, was wriggling to get down and play some more. I guess we'll have to do that again soon (the playing - not the sliding headfirst)!
-EBP-


