Being 2 1/2

Our new table got delivered before lunch today. John really likes the table and as soon as I got his chair hooked up, he sat down and waited. Quite unusual, since lately he wants to pull a chair up to the counter and watch me make his lunch. So I got his lunch made and served it. Then I figured I better take a photo. It's always better to have a face in it, right? Anyway it's 48 inches round with 4 chairs, made of oak. You can't tell from the photos, but it looks really good in the space. I'm happy with out decision to go with a round table.

While John was playing around this afternoon, I got the camera out to take some photos. I've kind of been lax about doing this lately. Mostly, it's because I've gotten out of the habit of blogging everyday (I know I still owe a vacation wrap up post). And because I've been really busy as of late working on some photos I've taken for friends. And because it's been boring (or unbelievably frustrating - I hate it when all I seem to do is complain) around here. I caught some neat photos of John standing in the front window. I think this one is my favorite. I've always had a thing for photos with side lighting.


We've had a good period as of late. John's been listening a lot better. There was a period not too long ago where we seemed to be spanking him all the time, but we've kinda put the spanking on the back burner and life has improved. We started using Time-Outs again and they seem to be a more effective deterrent. And since school will soon be back in session, it's probably good we re-instituted it. Another thing we use a lot is a countdown. John knows exactly what it means and will often be heard saying, "Don't count!" If we warn him that we plan to start counting, he will follow through on your request ASAP.

There's been no request for a big boy bed. So that's tabled indefinitely. He's getting better about cleaning up his toys himself. He's getting a little better about sharing. I think he's beginning to understand the concept. But there are definitely other things that he doesn't get and it's quite funny to hear him use words or phrases in the wrong way. Reasoning is only beginning to creep into our daily events.

I'd love to say he's become more adventurous in eating, but he's had to be coaxed into it. He'll eat fried chicken, only because he knows he usually gets fries with that. He'll eat raw spinach, leaving the stems behind, and raw carrots. He'll eat pasta and rice, both unadorned. We've coaxed him into tasting cooked broccoli, peas, and fish. Some days he seems much more receptive than others. It's amazing what the promise of dessert will do for his appetite.

He's always sung a lot. And he knows the words to some songs like Jesus Loves Me, The B-I-B-L-E, Wheels on the Bus, and the Itsy Bitsy Spider, but now he's picking up words from songs he hears on the CD's we listen to in the car, mostly Go Fish these days. He asks what the name of the song is and who sings it.

He's started to pretend play more on his own. Tonight he was in the bath tub introducing himself to someone ("Hello, my name is John Pitcher.") and last night he was offering me some coffee and a peanut butter sandwich. He finds creative ways to use things. As we were cleaning out the truck, Daddy brought in some old cell phone chargers. John found one and started to use it at a string trimmer, cutting his "yard". He definitely wants to play with us more these days. He insists at times. He can't wait until Daddy gets home so that he can play with him. And like most mothers I seem to have trouble stopping my "busy" day to play with John enough for his tastes.

Sometime I have a hard time believing he's two and half already. And then I have to remind myself he's ONLY two and half. So fun! We go to meet his new teachers on Friday. He'll be in a Pre-School class this year!

-EBP-

Anonymous –   – (August 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM)  

No pictures! nana

Post a Comment

You can let us know what you think at any time by leaving us a comment here!

About Me

My Photo
EBPitcher
Houston, Texas, United States
What life is like at our house...
View my complete profile

Visits

Peanut's Gallery

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP